According to World Health Organization, the number of people with depression was estimated to cross 300 million by 2025 globally. So we can see that a huge number of the population is struggling with this mental issue. Depression is a very serious mental issue so if you are the one who is facing this mental illness then kindly takes the help of the ayurvedic experts. Depression treatment in Ayurveda includes proper mental relaxation, meditation, therapies, and ayurvedic herbs.
What is Depression?
Depression is a mental illness or disorder that is characterized by sadness, loneliness, loss of interest, and mental stress. As per Ayurveda, there are three types of doshas present in the human body; Vata (air), pitta (fire), and Kapha (water). The imbalances of any of these three doshas lead to depression in humans.
Read More: Impact of social media on Mental Health
Depression and Ayurveda
Ayurveda is the oldest holistic healing system that not only cures physical diseases but it also deals with the mind and spirit of the human body. Ayurveda helps the person to connect with the inner soul as a healthy life requires a peaceful and relaxed state of mind. As per Ayurveda, the three types of depression are as follows:-
- 1. Vata-Type Depression: The feelings associated with Vata-type depression includes fear, anxiety, restlessness, loneliness, insomnia, mood swings, nervousness, and headache.
To avoid Vata-type depression, one should avoid Vata- provoking foods. Vata-type depression indulged mainly be loneliness so try to spend some quality time with your family and friends.
To cure Vata-Type Depression you can do the following things:-
- Drink Basil Leaves Tea twice a day.
- Put 5 drops of sesame oil in each nostril morning and evening.
- Do yoga or meditation daily.
- Indulge yourself in those activities you like most.
- Pitta-Type Depression: Pitta-type depression is the worst of all three depressions. Pitta-type depression is associated with suicidal thoughts. This type of depression originates in humans from the sense of disappointment, discouragement, losing someone special, or failure in a career or personal life.
To cure Pitta-Type Depression you can do the following things:-
- Do meditation to relax your mind and soul.
- Practice yoga or exercise daily for at least 20-25 minutes.
- Incorporate dry and cooling food sources like beans, oats, and other green vegetables.
- Massage your head and scalp with coconut oil for a cooling effect.
- Drink Ginko tea 3 times a day.
- Kapha- Type Depression: Kapha-Type depression is associated with the feeling of dullness, down, weight gain, negative thoughts, weight gain, staying in bed all day, sleeping too much, and overall sluggishness.
To cure Kapha-Type Depression you can do the following things:-
- Avoid heavy foods or meals. Enjoy the three to four regular meals.
- Do fasting to release toxins.
- Drink Ginger tea twice a day.
- Do 30 minutes of cardio per day.
Depression Treatment in Ayurveda
Depression treatment in Ayurveda is very useful and safe. They are safe as ayurvedic experts do not use any chemicals or strong drugs for treating depression problems. As Ayurveda is a holistic healing approach so it has long-lasting results. Depression treatment in Ayurveda always starts with body purification or detoxification.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Depression Treatment
- Ashwagandha: In Ayurveda, ashwagandha is used to cure several diseases and it is highly recommended by ayurvedic experts to cure depression and anxiety. Ashwagandha works as a stress booster due to the presence of active compounds like steroidal lactones, saponins, alkaloids, and withanolides. The properties found in this herb are used to develop the focus of the person and reduce the stress caused by emotional fatigue.
- Holy Basil: Ayurvedic practitioners recommended drinking holy basil leave tea at least twice a day. Basil tea has a calming effect and it is very helpful to calm or relax the mind of the person. It helps to feel less anxious, stressed, and depressed.
- Ginkgo: Ginkgo is used to treat depression. Ginkgo has anti-inflammatory properties that improve the body’s ability and make them ready to fight the hormones regulated by depression or anxiety.
- Brahmi: Brahmi is an ancient Indian herb used to cure depression. Brahmi act as an adaptogen, which makes the body face tough situations. Daily consumption of Brahmi in the form of help helps to keep the mind calm or relaxed.
- Mandukparni: Mandukparni has antidepressant properties and it is an aromatic herb that helps to calm the mind. The consumption of mandukparni daily helps to improve mental illness and it also enhances memory. Not only is this it also very effective to boost your immune system.
- Pudina: Pudina is a herb that is used for centuries to cure depression or any other mental illness. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals and has a cooling effect that calms or relaxes the mind. Consumption of pudina helps to cure insomnia and lets you sleep peacefully.
We hope that you get an idea about the different types of depression. And now we are sure that you also get the knowledge regarding how to start your depression treatment in Ayurveda. So, if you are facing any mental disorder then kindly consult the ayurvedic experts.